Thursday, June 2, 2011

The New Yorker

I still don't know what this picture means, but I do know that it represents my current favorite magazine. Fortunately the I do understand the cartoon on the front of the issue sitting on my bed, but unfortunately, the cover price on the top does not say 15 cents but $5.99. But (wait for it...) fortunately, I get an issue every week for a year for 30 bucks.

There have been several instances when I go to the mailbox looking for a letter that is probably not coming, and instead find one of these babies. It lets me down much easier. Wikipedia says the New Yorker "is well known for its illustrated and often topical covers, its commentaries on popular culture and eccentric Americana; its attention to modern fiction by the inclusion of short stories and literary reviews; its rigorous fact checking and copyediting; its journalism on world politics and social issues; and its single-panel cartoons sprinkled throughout each issue." I like the part about eccentric Americana, ha ha. Yesterday I read an article about the issue of rights of the mentally ill. Should the mentally ill who reject their diagnosis be allowed to wander around the cities, perhaps hurting others and more likely themselves? (the article followed the life of a woman who ended up living in an abandoned farmhouse, eating apples and waiting for her "husband" to come save her. She died of starvation.) But then, do we have the right to tell people that they are insane, force medicine into them, and keep them in an asylum their whole lives? Its a difficult situation. But it also lead me on a dizzying mind trail, wondering about the line between mind and spirit.

Today I'm reading about the purpose of higher education. And Iran and the bomb. Oh and also cartoons, short stories, and poetry. What can I say, I'm hooked. And someday I'm going to live in a big city and do eccentric American activities (clean eccentric American activities).

1 comment:

  1. Can someday involve soon-day? Like in the fall? :)

    Love the blog and you! Haven't read The New Yorker... it seems like a fun fit for you! (ps. I'm at work reading your blog and remembering when you were here. Yeah!)

    ReplyDelete