Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Reading List

Summer Reading is definitely in the top three things I love about summer (don't ask me what the other two are). I'm not in school right now, just working and so I have plenty of time to do what I do best! These are the books that are on my list (on on my shelf) this summer.

Non-fiction:
I actually have an unusual amount of these. They just keep stacking up.

1. The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World by Jacqueline Novogratz (founder of Acumen Fund)
http://www.acumenfund.org/bluesweater/












2. 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Philosophies, Each Explained in Half a Minute

 Who knew when I bought it on sale three years ago and B&N that I might actually need it for my major? Anyways, I'm pretty excited about this one.









3. The Audactiy of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama

Love the title. Want to see my presidents thoughts.











4. The Art of Fiction by David Lodge
I read this one in high school, something on another summer reading list for English. I remember liking it, but I might actually find it useful now.










5.  How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas by David Bornstein
http://davidbornstein.wordpress.com/books/how-to-change-the-world/
This was one of my required texts for my Social Entrepreneurship class, but I didn't read the whole thing. Plus it tells a lot about Bill Drayton and Ashoka, which is good because I am going to be an campus intern with them in the fall.









Fiction:

1. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I have been wanting to read this one for a long time. I love love loved the movie. I have pretty high expectations. I haven't decided whether to read the abridged or unabridged version yet. I guess we'll see how much time I have.









2. A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
 This is one of the beat up books I took from the English supply room in high school (don't worry, I had permission). Its a play so its pretty short and I've never really read anything like it.









3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I have heard enough people say, "Oh em gee, The Book Thief is my favorite book of all time!" to warrant a read. This one better live up to my expectations.










4. The Complete Short Stories of Flannery O'Conner
I am a huge fan of hers. Also, have a peacock fetish. Plus she is from Savannah, Georgia and writes in the Southern Gothic genre along with William Faulkner.










5. Harry Potter, the entire series, by J.K. Rowling
I'm not actually sure about this one, since I've already read them all so many times. But my guess is that I will go on a huge Potter kick about two weeks before the movie comes out. I will probably read them in my closet, which also happens to be a cupboard under the stairs.









Its going to be a good summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment