Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dictionary or Hair Products?

Can we just compare the exact and careful definitions found in a dictionary and how defined your curls are?

Definition. What defines a person? I would think somewhere along the lines of what a person believes, how she sees the world around her, what brings her happiness, and the kind of relationships she has (warning: this is not a complete list). Sometimes people define themselves by where they are from, what they are majoring in, and who their friends are. I have observed more and more that people define themselves by their particular tastes. People ask you what music you like so that the can define you by a genre (just be very vague when you answer this question). People define themselves by what they wear and the look that they are going for (combine this with a music genre and you have found yourself!). Aren't there better ways to define yourself than by what food you like, what you think of the 14 year-old celebrity, or what brand of shampoo you use?

Do you think I am exaggerating? Maybe I am, but go to the about me section of your friends profiles on facebook and then get back to me. You know the type. Soccer is my life! Music is my life! What a boring life. I can only hope that these are masks and that there is something more definable under that charming style.

No comments:

Post a Comment